Friday 10 May 2013

School ramblings

Long time no see! I just remembered today that I have this blog and that I have been neglecting it rather a lot.

Today I'm just going to give you a quick update as to what's going on and also try and let off a bit of steam after something totally ridiculous happened today. I will have my first A-level exam on Monday, a history AS resit, which should hopefully not pose too many problems despite my horrendously effective procrastination which may have inhibited my revision. Nevertheless, I have a few days to cram in a lot of learning about the early Soviet Union - Lenin, Stalin, repression etc. Then I have another week before another history paper, but more of that in another post.

The main topic I wanted to talk about today was my school being totally and utterly stupid and ridiculous. As my yeargroup is formally leaving school for the last time to go on study leave at the end of next week, we're making a leavers' video, filled with little interviews and funny acts. At my school there is a tradition that whenever someone drops their tray in the lunch hall, there's a massive chorus of "wheyyy!!!!". However, the new headmaster we got at the start of this academic year decided that it is bullying to do so, and thus banned us from cheering. Anyone who has dropped their tray knows it's not bullying, but this headmaster is a complete clot. In a form of protest, someone volunteered to drop their tray at lunch today, and there was a rip-roaring cheer. Almost instantly, the two heads of sixth form and the deputy head were standing there, and they weren't pleased. As far as I'm aware, at least 10 people have been suspended for this. Someone on Facebook summed it up quite nicely: "I just think it's outrageous that people have  been suspended for being noisy in a lunch hall when people have the same punishment for beating people up in other schools." Furthermore, the head of sixth form decided to delete ALL the footage on the camera that we'd been lent by the school, most of which was perfectly fine footage of people talking to the camera. This means we're almost certainly not going to have a leavers' video, which is rather annoying as it's a great way to remember everyone. We've got a nice conversation/argument goin on on Facebook with many people saying we should boycott various events and then others (people who are perhaps afraid of standing up to authority/wimps afraid of nothing whatsoever) saying "oh we can't do that!"

On another related note, our yearbooks have been delayed because the company haven't got enough staff to process all the orders - if you're going to run a company and promise a delivery date, you should be able to fulfil it, and if not at least offer some form of compensation. You can't run a business like that!

Sorry if this post was a bit ranty, but I had to have some way of expressing my feelings, and as the old saying goes: better out than in!

Adios, until the next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment