Friday 8 February 2013

Euro Truck Simulator 2

I apologise for the fairly lengthy delay between the first post and this one, I just completely forgot to do something on here, but I've finally got round to doing it!

A few weeks ago a YouTube channel that I am subscribed to (Robbaz, a crazy and outright hilarious Swedish guy) had a video about a game called Euro Truck Simulator 2 (ETS2 for ease of typing). Now a few years ago I played a truck simulator called 18 Wheels of Steel Pedal to the Metal, which was set in America. It just so happens that ETS2 is made by the same people that made 18WoS: PTTM, namely SCS Software. This studio makes a whole host of different sims and to be honest I like them a lot! I therefore bought the game and ever since I installed it I've been enthralled by it - I've played around 40 hours so far!

The great thing about this game is that it's realistic while not being too boring. You can drive like a but of a loony and still get the jobs done. There is also a management aspect to it as you can build up your own trucking company, hiring and firing drivers and opening garages around Europe. You can choose a truck from a host of different models, and all the makes are fully licenced as of today (before there were a couple that were missing licences and therefore had made up names) because there was a patch that added licences, and fixes for various things, not that I've had any problems at all with the game - it really is a stable game! You can also infinitesimally customise your truck with lights, paint jobs, wheels, exhausts etc.

I've heard that there is an extremely active modding community that has produced some great mods like a snow mod, or a mod with trailers that have logos from real companies but I haven't tried these yet so I can't comment on their stability or quality but they are definitely out there!

Overall I'd give this game an 8/10 as it's really good fun and easy to get into, but can get a little repetitive and the AI drivers are sometimes a little odd. This is also not a game that would appeal to absolutely ever gamer, but it's worth a shot, as there is a demo version freely available on the SCS website.

Thanks for reading, and in my next post I will do a review of the Rhodia Webnotebook and the Lamy Vista!

No comments:

Post a Comment